Friday, March 4, 2011

What Binds Me to My Husband?

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
Ecc. 4:12

What binds me to my husband? Over the last 4 years of our relationship, many questions have been asked of me, but never what binds me to him.

The first and most important thing that has bound me to my husband was the fact that when I met him, I knew that he was a gift. God showed me that my husband and I were His gifts, one to the other, to form a family that nothing could separate. We would be bigger and stronger and help others who are just like us; a blended family.

The second aspect that binds us is our commitment to one another. The first two years of our marriage were tumultuous. Most days, even when we were at our happiest, I wasn't sure if we would make it. Why would I think such a thing? Well, even when we were happy, I was and am, always anticipating the bottom falling out. He has an angry ex, two sons who toy with his emotions with their games, a stressful job, the pressure of being a full-time father to my three children, our expecting our first child together and how that will and is effecting his relationship with all of us. However, he always surprises me with his dedication and love for us. I've never been blessed to have someone always be there for me or for me to always be there for them...and now it's finally happening.

You see, he's the victim of PAS. This is an aspect of our marriage that I have the hardest time dealing with. However, he's loving, genuine, caring, good and doesn't wish evil upon anyone; not even the one person who thrives on destroying the relationship between he and his sons. While I know it devestates him, he takes it with the grace of an angel and it's that strength that binds me even further to him.

We were at a really low point last summer and I took a trip to see my family. I realized during that trip that nothing was really any fun or worth doing without him. Everything I do, see or experience; I want to share with him. I want him to be a part of everything with me. I actually want and need to be with him; which I never felt with my first husband...even after 12 years.

My husband has graced me with the gift of love and himself. He's shown me what it means to really need, want, share with and love someone. He's taught me how to truly be his best friend, his helpmate, lover and wife. He is what binds me to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment